5 Things in UNBROKEN: PATH TO REDEMPTION You Need to Know About
By Tess Farrand, Contributing Writer
Next month, the new faith-based movie UNBROKEN: PATH TO REDEMPTION releases nationwide. The story follows the real-life faith journey of Louis Zamperini as he adjusts to life in the U.S. after a terrorizing stint lost at sea and many months in a Japanese prison during WWII. As the release date approaches, want to give you a glimpse of some things you’ll want to know before you watch it!
1. It’s a family affair: Luke Zamperini, Louis’ son, serves as an executive producer for the movie. Luke’s personal knowledge of the events in the movie help to cultivate a feeling of familiarity that rings personal and true to audiences. This UNBROKEN movie serves as a spiritual sequel to Angelina Jolie’s UNBROKEN in 2014 and features different actors than the first movie as well.
2. Adjustment struggles: After being beaten to near-death and undergoing harsh living conditions (to put it nicely), audiences will see that Louis deals with recurring flashbacks of his time overseas (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is common among veterans). The movie stylistically portrays his fears and experiences through special effects and makes no secret that life in a cozy and safe environment doesn’t always feel safe for P.O.W. survivors. Additionally, audiences see his new roles of husband and father and how they weigh heavy on his healing heart. Thankfully, God and his family encourage him to fight through the pain and work towards forgiveness.
3. Perseverance through marital conflict: The road for Louis and his wife Cynthia is filled with plenty of turns and road bumps. Louis goes through a period of alcoholism and a loss of identity that puts a strain on his marriage, consequently almost ending it. How Cynthia reacts to Louis makes all the difference in the world.
4. The movie is set in Los Angeles: That’s right, Louis Zamperini lived in the Hollywood area! After his tour overseas and speaking on behalf of the military, Cynthia and his wife move to Los Angeles area to be close to his family.
5. A bold profession of the Gospel: Like the book, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption tells, Louis came to faith during a Billy Graham crusade. The movie depicts this moment at a crusade where Will Graham plays his grandfather, the Rev. Billy Graham.
Check back for the Movieguide® review of UNBROKEN: PATH TO REDEMPTION in the next few weeks.Do you enjoy articles like this? Click here to become a monthly partner and receive a copy of UNPLANNED on DVD!