5 Ways to Pray for Hollywood
By Tess Farrand, Contributing Writer
1. Salvation: Ultimately, we want people to come to know the Lord through Jesus. Because of Him, we have hope, and we want that hope to permeate through the lens of culture! Movieguide® hopes that those in Hollywood would come to know and love Him whether it be through reading the Bibles we hand out at the Movieguide® Awards, a church, or a friend. We know that Jesus is the way the truth, and the life (John 14:6 NASB) and having a personal relationship with Him is the most important relationship anyone will ever have. Please pray that salvation would abound in Hollywood.
2. Discernment: Christian celebrities are watched and criticized daily. How they dress, walk and talk affect the public’s view of believers as a whole. Please pray that Christian’s who have a large spotlight on them would exercise discernment in the projects they produce and promote. Likewise, pray that the Holy Spirit would move on the hearts of non-believers in the industry to realize the influence – either good or evil – that their movies and projects carry (Mark 14:28).
3. Protection: Goodness is under attack from the evil one daily. Pray that believers would rely on the truth of the Word to stand firm in the faith. Pray specifically that marriages would be protected from infidelity, and that truth wouldn’t be watered down like it so often is in our culture. The devil disguises himself as an angel of light (2 Cor 11:14), and we need to pray for the Holy Spirit’s intercession.
4. Biblical values: The research at Movieguide® shows that movies with uplifting messages and biblical values do better at the box office. Pray that future movies would increasingly draw themes and ideas from a Christian worldview. “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword….” (Heb. 4:12 NASB)
5. Positive impact: Founder and publisher of Movieguide®, Dr. Ted Baehr, reminds us frequently of the quote, “He who controls the media controls the culture.” Hollywood’s influence reaches millions of people across the globe, this is why it’s so important that the values preached on the platform of the media reflect goodness, truth and beauty, and not hate, self-indulgence and godlessness. With this, please pray that there would be a conscious desire in Hollywood to export positive movies that inspire and uplift the world.
Do you enjoy articles like this?