XXII VISUAL MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS SUNDAY
MARCH 10, 2013
“CALL UNTO ME AND I WILL ANSWER…”
The second Sunday of the month of March of every year was designated in 1992 to be observed as Visual Media Communication Sunday. In 2013this day falls on the 10thof March. Churches, Assemblies, Fellowships, Christian activity groups and Institutions are requested to pray on this Sunday for the effective use of Visual-Media, for the communication of the Gospel, for Christian witness and for evangelism.
There is a need to intercede for the many organizations and individuals who are involved in visual-media ministries that employ modern technologies. We should ask our Lord raise up Christian men and women to make soul stirring and aesthetically competent products and programs for broadcasting and for church and family use. When the people of God raise their voices in unison before His throne of Grace, the unity of Christians is also tested in the altar of prayer.
The theme for meditations is the third verse of the thirty-third chapter of the Book Jeremiah that reads as:
“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”
This theme has a command from God the creator and a promise from Him. When we read Ps 91:15; Isa 58:9; Isa 65:24; Zec 3:9; Lk 11:9; Lk 11: 10; Jn 15:7; Acts 17:27; Deut 4:29; Ps 105:4; Isa 55:6 and Hos. 10:12, we find that this is a repetitive theme of the Bible.
More than any period in history the people of God need to cry out now for the intervention of the Holy Spirit to save human race from perils leashed out by the visual–media transmitted through the face of the earth.
The Book of Revelation talks about a “Great prostitute who sits on many waters” and “with her, the kings of the earth committed adultery and the inhabitants of the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her adulteries”(17:1,2). “The many waters” are described as, “peoples, multitudes, nations and languages” (17:15). What do they do? “….the nations have drunk the maddening wine of her adulteries. The kings of the earth have committed adultery with her, and the merchants of the earth grew rich from her excessive luxuries” (18:3).
The merchants of Hollywood and the entertainment industry around the worldhave fattened their bellies with the filthy lucre earned by corrupting gullible people around the world, especially those of the impressionable age groups, tempting them to lead to promiscuity, immorality, impurity and violence.
The Power of Visual Media:
The powerful media of film, television, DVD’s and all that constitute the new media including the internet with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitterand You Tube are no doubt excellent tools to inform, educate and entertain. Television, the miracle machine of this age, is the most powerful in the world of today. It can enrich individuals, families and communities and at the same time it can harm them. More often, it is used to propagate degrading values and models of behavior, by broadcasting pornography and graphic depiction of brutal violence. It carries distorted and manipulative accounts of news and current events. It also carries exploitive advertisements that appeal to base instincts and which glorify false visions of life that obstruct the realization of mutual respect for justice and peace.
How excellent it would be if the Biblical imperative of, “Whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious” (Phil 4:8) are seen on the television, motion picture and computer screens of this beautiful world? The positive and purposeful deployment of the bountiful resources of the media, if used to inculcate Christian values, it can usher in the kingdom of God for which Jesus Christ died on the cross.
The Challenge of the Church:
The church has to take up the challenges. It is the custodian of the morality of the human race. Jesus Christ, the head of the church has empowered it with all authority to seek after purity and holiness. Therefore, it has a vital role to play.
In the first place, it has to enable its own people to win hands down in the spiritual warfare they are faced with. The Church needs to provide every facility for the people of God to “put on the full Armour of God” (Eph. 6:10-18). It is imperative to remind the people constantly on what Paul wrote to the Corinthians. “For though we live in the world, we do wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ “(2 Cor. 10:3-5).
The Church should produce responsible parents, teachers and educators who would keep a constant vigil to direct young minds to seek after truth, justice, righteousness, peace, purity and holiness. It should also urge those of its members who are involved with the entertainment industries of cinema, fashion and advertising and those who hold public authority, to act as “conscience” of the Church in the world.
Secondly, the Church has to fulfill our Lord’s Great commission that states: “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to you. Therefore goand make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always to the end of the age” (Matt. 28:18-20).
Visual media presents unprecedented opportunities for evangelism, outreach and church planting!
Call Upon Me:
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and forgive their sins and will heal their land”(Isa. 58:9).
Visual Media has been multiplying wounds in the hearts and minds of individuals. Values of life are slipping off the coveted status they enjoyed in families, communities and nations. Parents’ teachers, leaders and activity groups that seek after the cleansing, are more often faced with stonewalls which they cannot penetrate.
In this context, God commands us to pray. And His promise is:“… I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” (Jer. 33:3)
Someone said, ’When man works, man works; when man prays, God works.’ Prayer is central in Christian life. It is not an option to consider when all other efforts have failed. Prayer changes things, situation and people. It also changes those who pray.
Therefore let us mobilize prayer. This booklet provides tools for prayer. It may be adopted to suit the practices and traditions of churches and assemblies. The given can also be used at small group meetings and at prayer vigils of longer duration. They can also serve as aids to those who practice the power of prayer.
Jesus Christ promised: “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you havereceived it, and it will be yours.” (Mk. 11:24).
Praise God for…
• Planning and creating a beautiful world in seven days with all the flora and fauna; mountains and oceans and rivers; and everything with exquisite colors and sounds for man to enjoy and to be fruitful.
• Revealing His Majesty and power visually to Moses at the burning bush and at Mount Sinai, and to the disciples on the mount of transfiguration.
• His Grace and favor to mankind that in spite of its disobedience and rebellion He revealed Himself in the most dramatic fashion at mount Carmel to Elijah and to the disciples of Jesus Christ at the mount of transfiguration and revealed His power and love.
• Jesus Christ who came to this world for the redemption of mankind and who taught humankind the way of Salvation through memorable parables, using the best story telling techniques.
• His Son, Jesus Christ, who accomplished man’s salvation by lifting Himself up visually at Calvary to draw all men unto Him.
• His Son who gave the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling presence with man was visually and dramatically displayed at Pentecost and who continues to work in mysterious ways and manifestations in the lives of his people who shine as beacon lights for generations to see and to believe in Jesus Christ.
• Who created man in His image with wonderful faculties to invent communication gadgets and to innovate on them so that the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ can reach masses of people with speed and effectiveness?
• The three in one, who has given man wisdom, knowledge, understanding and discernment to choose from what to see, what not to see; and what to read and what not to read; and what to speak and what not to speak.
• His church and the power He has bestowed upon it by the indwelling Holy Spirit to fight principalities and powers and save its people from moral degradation and peril.
Ask God forgiveness for…
• Our foolish ways in not using our resources of time and talents to seek first His Kingdom and Righteousness.
• Seeking after the lust of our eyes, the lusts of the flesh and the pride of life that leads to unhappiness.
• Failing to live as the people of God to be leaven to influence and catalyze the world with the Gospel.
• His people that they may give God the glory for the faculties of speech, hearing and sight that He gave man which make communication possible.
• All Christians who are involved in the production and distribution of Visual Media products –Producers, Directors, Technicians, and artistes –that they are endowed with power to create messages conveying Biblical values.
• All those whobenefit financially from the Visual Media industry that they may resist the lure for easy profit and refuse any production that exploits human weakness, offends conscience, or affronts human dignity.
• Parents and teachers whose duty is to educate their children in the proper and responsible use of Visual Media, that they may guide and enlighten them in the appreciation of wholesome Films, Television programs, and Web sites.
• Teenagers that they may be blessed with wisdom, understanding and discernment and choose those Visual Media programs that enrich the Spirit and bring true joy to their hearts.
• Children and young people who need to grow in grace and Christian maturity that they will be Helped by the use of such films, TV Programs, the Internet andother modern technological means to develop Christian character, and personality.
• God’s blessings on the ministries of Operation Mobilization, Campus Crusades for Christ, Gospel for Asia, Day Spring International, and many other agencies that communicatethe gospel through films, television programs and all types of Visual Media products using modern technological gadgets.
• God’s blessings on Television’s Satellite Networks,and cable operators around the world that broadcast Gospel programs.
• God’s blessings on the numerous itinerant evangelists and missionaries who strive to preach the Gospel through films, television and other modern gadgets in the farthest corners of the World in trying conditions.
• Para-Church organizations / Professional Associations such as the International Visual Media Association (ICVMA), Christian European Visual Media Association (CEVMA), International Christian Media Commission (ICMC), National Religious Broadcasting Association (NRB), European Broadcasting Association (EBA), and others around the World that strive to mobilize people and resources to work for the fulfillment of our Lord’s Great Commission.
• The leaders and staff of the Christian Film and Television Commission of the USA who are engaged in a spiritual warfarewith the entertainment industry, that they may succeed in the fulfillment of their vision.
• The Board of Directors, the Chairman/CEO, and the staff of the Master Media International who places Bibles in the hands of Media Professionals around the world and pray to“influence these influencers” through the “Media Leader Prayer Calendar” movementaround the world.
• God’s blessings on the Galilean International Films and Television Services and it’s lay and professional leaders and Evangelists who strive to set up Visual Media Centers in all the language areas in the most populous country of the World in order to reach men and women with the Gospel of Christ.
Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come; Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
He will call on me, and I will answer him;I will be with him in trouble,I will deliver him and honor him. Psalm 91:15Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. “If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk… Isaiah 58:9
Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.Isaiah 65:24
See, the stone I have set in front of Joshua! There are seven eyes on that one stone, and I will engrave an inscription on it,’ says the LORDAlmighty, ‘and I will remove the sin of this land in a single day.Zechariah 3:9
“So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. Luke 11:9
For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Luke 11:10
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. John 15:7
God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. Acts 17:27
But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul. Deuteronomy 4:29
Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. Psalms 105:4
Seek the LORD while he may be found;call on him while he is near.Isaiah 55:6
Sow righteousness for yourselves, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the LORD, until he comes and showers his righteousness on you. Hosea 10:12
Galilean International is established to communicate the Gospel of Jesus Christ through Visual Media products in this information age in order to encourage people to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour and to aid, prompt and contribute to the multiplication of new churches in and around the world.
The mission of Galilean International is setting up Visual-Media Communication Centres (VMCCs) in the key language areas of the country that will provide resources of films, DVD’sand equipment for mass evangelism; institute training programmes on evangelism; and install production and broadcasting facilities.
The ministry is structured to involve representatives of various denominations and Christian institutions to shoulder leadership responsibilities in its various functional areas. It encourages believers to grow in faith and commitment, strengthens the unity of the body of Christ and challenges the people of God to evangelise the world.