7 Ways to Pray During These Volatile Times
By Jessilyn Lancaster, Managing Editor
Our country is mourning, protesting, rioting, thinking, and praying. The death of George Floyd ignited a spark to bring justice to across the nation and an appeal for righteous leaders to take action against racism. Churches and Christians are being put in the spotlight to be the hands and feet of Jesus during this volatile time. Many people don’t know how to process this information or what steps to take. The first answer should always be prayer. If you’re at a loss of what to say or how to pray, we’ve compiled a list of simple prayers that will attune you to the Father’s heart for His children.
- Pray that God would open up your eyes to the things that break His heart. Today, take a few minutes to sit in the quiet and ask the Lord what He sees happening.
- Pray that God would convict you of problems and sins lingering in your heart. Ask God to show you what issues are happening in your own heart so you can repent of them and strengthen your faith.
- Pray for peace to rule in this nation. Peace doesn’t necessarily mean everything is happy go lucky. Instead, it means we trust the outcomes to the Father. We don’t need to get caught up in our own fears and emotions. We need to fix our eyes on Jesus and let Him show us how to proceed.
- Pray for God’s grace to come. God’s gracious justice looks different from earthly justice. Just look at Jesus’ sacrifice to see what was necessary for the atonement of our sins. He died in our place so that we could spend eternity with Him. Grieved hearts are crying out for justice. God is the only One who can ultimately satisfy that desire with His grace.
- Pray that God would let you quiet yourself. Much of Proverbs tells us that the wise choose their words while a fool says whatever comes to his mind. Social media is full of people firing off hurtful, selfish statements that agitate those who are in pain. Stop. Take a breath. Ask the Lord where He is in this situation and allow Him to guide you in your response.
- Pray for your neighbor. Take some time today or tomorrow and walk around your neighborhood. Ask the Lord how you can serve your community better. Ask Him to show you who needs your help today. Greet neighbors kindly and ask them how you can pray for them.
- Pray for your family. Pray that they would walk with the Lord all the days of their lives, that they would stand up for righteousness. Pray that God would give you the wisdom, knowledge and understanding to raise godly children and grandchildren. Ask Him fto guide you as you educate your family and teach them to be Christ-like. Your family is a valued.
Do you enjoy articles like this?
Click here to become a monthly partner and receive a movie for free!